Sunday, January 20, 2008

Top 40 of terrible things to do

In my Top 40 of terrible things to do in my life is flying with a hangover. The central nervous system is in direct conflict with the speed and noise of the airplane. It's like having a surgeon operating on you while you're still conscious with a scalpel in one of his hands and a textbook in the other, and meanwhile he is repeating over and over again, 'I should have studied harder,' and just then his mother barges into the operating room wearing her gardening clothes and comes over to me and looks at the hole in my stomach and yells at the doctor,'Why did I waste my money sending you to medical school!' and then gesturing in my direction, 'Look at that hole! What are you going to do now? I want to see how you get out of this one!'

An Unfortunate Woman, Richard Brautigan

No comments: